Yellow coloured Khichdi made with a tadka of ghee is another highlight of this festival. Made with different across different states, Khichdi is a common dish that is relished by a number of people on this auspicious day.
Ingredients required-1 cup urad dal, 2 cup rice, 2 tbsp ghee, 1 tbsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp hing, salt as per taste and water (as required).
- Soak dal and rice separately in water. Let them sit for at least 1-2 hours. Wash them 2-3 times before soaking them.
- Now heat ghee in a pressure cooker, add hing, cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Drain the dal and add in the cooker. Roast it for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder powder and 1 cup of water. Mix well.
- Secure the lid and pressure cook it for 2 whistles.
- Now drain the rice and add it to the cooker, along with 2 cups of water. Secure the lid again and cook it for 1-2 whistles, accordingly. Allow the steam to release on its own.
- Once done, add a dollop of ghee on top and serve with curd.