MUMBAI: A 10-year-old boy lost his life after he fell into a large pit of cow dung and water at Kandivali West, while trying to retrieve a kite, on Thursday.
Durgesh Jadhav, a class V student, lived in a neighbouring building at Shankar Pada and had ventured into a cow shed, police said. An accidental death case has been recorded but the police will probe if the cow shed owner was at fault.
Duresh lived with his parents in an SRA building. Around 3.30pm, he was at home with his mother when he saw a kite sweep down towards a cow shed next to his building. The plot is surrounded with asbestos sheets on all sides. Police said Jadhav found a gap in one of the sheets and slipped inside. But he did not know that the cowdung and water inside was as deep as five feet. He slipped and fell inside.
“A 20-year-old youth named Yusuf from another building was at the window of his seventh floor flat and witnessed the child fall in. He rushed down and entered the pit to pull the boy out. But Jadhav slipped back in twice as Yusuf struggled with him. Yusuf too was stuck in waist deep dung,” said a police officer. Meanwhile, workers from a construction site nearby and local residents gathered.
A crane was brought in and a few men sat in its bucket to reach the spot where Jadhav had fallen. Yusuf tried to hoist him and he was finally brought out. Locals tried to revive him. A doctor was summoned to the spot and he declared Jadhav dead. The Kandivali police were then summoned.
“Jadhav had told his mother that he was going to retrieve a kite nearby. But had Yusuf not seen him fall into the pit nobody would have known where he disappeared,” said a police officer. Jadhav’s body was sent for an autopsy. His father, who is a daily wage worker, was informed by residents.